The purpose for using PowerPoint or other presentation software is to make ideas visual with the assurance that listeners understand and remember more if they both see and hear the information.
Following is a sample PowerPoint presentation. In this sample, the thesis is presented on slide two. Notice that:
- Each slide heading is a statement, one of the presentation's main points.
- Preview and review slides highlight the main points.
- Source citations are shown on the slides and are spoken by the presenter (i.e., foxnews.com, 2007).
- Background color is solid and dark, used consistently throughout the presentation.
- Slides are kept simple and uncluttered (no more than 30-40 words per slide).
- Type is large enough to be easily readable to viewers (text 32pt., titles 44 pt.).
- The background and text colors offer contrast so that slides are easily read (white or yellow text, no red on black).
- Slide transitions are kept simple to avoid distraction (nothing flying or roaring in, spinning, or tumbling).